- Dates for 2021 to be Announced Soon!
Cost of Class
What You’ll Learn
- Several fly patterns
- Basic fly tying techniques
- How to tie nymphs, dry flies & streamers
- Elements of proportioning a fly with various materials
- Basic tools used
- Setting up your fly tying space
- Tips and tricks to expand the craft
Contact Us Today! To reserve a spot in this class, please call the Blue Quill Angler at (303) 674-4700
Fly Tying Class
The Introduction to Fly Tying class at the Blue Quill Angler is designed for the beginner fly-tier looking to tie their own flies. In this class, our professional instructors will teach you how to tie nymphs, dry flies, and streamers. In addition, we will introduce our students to fly tying tools, materials, and a touch of entomology (the study of insects). No experience is necessary to join us for our introduction class and our intention is that you will walk away from the class with the knowledge and experience required to tie basic fly patterns. Your newly acquired set of skills will open the door to tying more advanced patterns and will hopefully inspire some creativity in your fly tying.
What to Expect in our Introduction to Fly Tying Class
This is a series of two, two-hour classes hosted at our shop in Evergreen on Wednesday evenings from 6-8PM.
*Photo: Pat Dorsey
2021 Class Dates:(to be announced soon)
- Class 1:
- Class 2:
- Class 3:
- All materials, vises, and tools will be provided for students to use. If you have your own vise and tools, feel free to bring them to the class.
- Each session will cover several fly patterns and the surrounding techniques to tie them. We’ve carefully chosen a set of trout-specific fly patterns that will help you understand a range of fundamental fly tying techniques.
- You will learn the basic fly tying techniques necessary to tie nymphs, dry flies, and streamers.
- The instructor will explain, in detail, the basic tools used in the tying process. We’ll also touch on setting up your fly tying space.
- You will learn and practice the elements of proportioning a fly with various materials, so that the finished fly looks and acts appropriately on the water.
- We will explore a variety of the materials that we stock in our fly shop, so that you become familiar with how they are used.
- The class will include tips and tricks that will make the fly-tying process exponentially more enjoyable.
- You will leave the class equipped with the fundamental skills needed to expand the craft.
The Cost of The Class is: $125 and students receive 15% off of fly tying materials up to one week after the course. The classes are limited to 6 students, and pre-registration is necessary. Please call the shop at (303) 674-4700 to schedule your class.